How to know if the battery of your car is dead?
There are many possible reasons why your car isn’t starting. The last thing you want to do is jump-start your vehicle without knowing that your battery is the problem. This can be very dangerous if you don’t know the necessary precautions.
To check if your battery is dead, you need to start the ignition. If you hear your engine cranking, your battery is not dead. Jump-starting your car in this situation won’t solve your problem. However, if you turn the ignition and hear nothing, your vehicle’s battery is most certainly dead.
If so, what do you need to do?
- First, check your car’s manual. Some new cars and manufacturers do not allow jump-starting, as it may result in you voiding your car’s warranty or cause serious problems.
- Second, make sure you have the right cables, gloves, and safety goggles.
- You should park the two cars close enough for the cables to reach, but do not allow them to touch.
- Make sure that any accessories plugged into your car (like mobile phone chargers) are removed, as jump-starting might short them out.
- In both vehicles, radio, headlights, and turn signals should be turned off.
- Don’t lean on the car or the battery.
- Don’t smoke while jump-starting.
- If the battery is leaking, cracked, or if its fluid is frozen, do not continue with jump-starting because this might cause an explosion.
If you are new to this problem and don’t know what to do, it is best to call for roadside assistance. Jump-starting a vehicle could be easy when done properly, but, done poorly, it could be hazardous. You don’t want to risk the safety of yourself and others.
Best way to solve a dead battery problem
What is the best thing to do if you are in the New Jersey area and this happens outside of regular business hours? Call Olympic Auto Recovery! Providing 24-hour roadside assistance, our team of professional technicians are skills and armed with extensive experience to help you in your time of need. Visit our website for more information, and save our contact details for your next jump-start.